Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My Dad

Many of you know my dad. You know he's a fun, loving guy who would do anything for you. He's always cracking jokes and making you laugh. Half the time I roll my eyes at his jokes, but I love his sense of humor and I have never wanted him to change.

But sometimes change is good. Sometimes change is necessary in the overall scheme of things. My dad is a heavier man. This never bothered me before. He is my dad and I love him. But it has bothered him...physically. The added stress it has put on his body is not something he has enjoyed. He has tried all kinds of diets and some of them have worked. However, the weight has always found its way back.

He's a southern man who enjoys southern food. He makes the best ribs and brisket ever! Like the fall off the bone type ribs. I don't really even like ribs but I will eat them up if my dad makes them! Delicious doesn't even cover it! My parents always have a ton of people over and when my dad bar-b-ques, he doesn't use your standard grill...he uses BIG BERTHA!

My point is, the man can cook and if you cook, you're going to eat! So, diets don't really work for him.

It finally hit him one day. He needed to lose weight if he wanted to live a long life. His exact words were "I've never seen a fat, old man!" It was with this realization that he decided to have the lap-band surgery. After he made this decision, there was no turning back. He knows it will be a very long process and his way of life will have to change but he's up for the challenge. He wants to see his grandkids grow up and be able to play catch with my little brother (who is 12) for years to come. I think all of that outweighs the hardship he will have to go through for the first few months.


On Monday, my dad had the surgery. Everything went great and he's doing well. He's still in a lot of pain but he's getting through it. He is only on a liquid diet for now but eventually he'll get to eat. I hear he'll have to endure some pretty serious hunger pains though.


We're all very proud of you, Dad! TJ can't wait to buy you your first pair of "cool" jeans! :)

No comments: