Wednesday, February 24, 2010

911, What's your Emergency?

Cole dialed 911 on my cell phone. I have no idea how he did this...he's only a year old! I took off the one touch calling option for 911 for this very reason. The only way he could have called it was by actually dialing 9-1-1 and then pressing the "talk" button.

I discovered it only because I heard this loud, annoying beeping coming from my phone. When I picked it up, it was flashing "emergency". When I went to the outgoing call list, it listed 911 as the last outgoing call.

I didn't know what to do. Do I call them back and say, "just kidding" or do I wait for them to show up? Then I started thinking, don't they usually call you right back if you hang up on them?

No one was calling me back.

Hmmm...

So, I looked up the dispatch number and called to tell them it was an accident only to find out, they never got a call from me.

What? I saw the outgoing call, I heard the awful beeping sound, I know my phone dialed 911. Maybe Cole hung up before the dispatch office received the call, but not before my phone realized it was an "emergency"?

All I know is Cole will no longer be allowed to play with my phone and that does not make him happy...

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I once accidently dialed 911 and immediately hung up. The police showed up at my front door.

Shannon K. said...

Ah, I can so relate! My 18 month old has been banned from using my cell phone too, and he is not a happy camper.

Your children are extremely beautiful!