Friday, February 19, 2010

More Gluten (well less actually)

Since Cade is having stomach issues again, we're back to lowering the amount of gluten we give him. A little less than a year ago, he tested negative for Celiac Disease but his GI doctor thought he still had a "sensitivity" to it. When we went completely gluten free for an entire month, Cade gained weight and his stomach issues became a little more manageable.

However, after another gluten free month, Cade lost weight again and his stomach issues were back. We slowly introduced gluten products again because we felt there was no need to be completely gluten free.

The last few months things have started to go downhill. Cade's stomach issues are even worse and that does not help with his potty training. He is 100% "pee pee" potty trained, but since he has major problems with BM's, we're no where near being completely potty trained. I can't blame him though, in order for him to go to the restroom, he has to pull his knees completely up to his chin in order to get anything out. Not such an easy task when you're not supposed to go in your underwear.

I'm not trying to gross anyone out, just trying to give some background information to our situation. The thing is, I think we're going to have to go back to being gluten free (for Cade, at least, anyway). Too many things are not working for him. Being gluten free was a challenge, financially. It is not the cheapest lifestyle ($6 for a loaf of bread...are you kidding me?) but it is manageable.

I have had people give me recipes and different ideas in the past on things that work well for kids, but I'm needing some more help. I watch kids for a living and I can't afford for everyone to be gluten free. How do I tell Cade he can't have certain foods? How will he feel about the other kids getting foods he can't have? How do you explain to a three year old why he can't have cake on his birthday (there are gluten free cake mixes, I know, but this sentence just flowed well with the rest so I kept it).

If you have any information, please let me know. The way I see it, this can't hurt him. If I had the willpower, I might even try a gluten free diet.

3 comments:

Tasha said...

Oh man...that is such a sucker. Does a crap load of fiber seem to help at all?

A Perfect Pandemonium said...

Nope! He is on 3/4 a cap full of Miralax once a day, as well and it doesn't do much at all!

Courtney said...

Try this website: www.paleoplan.com. There are some excellent recipes which include no wheat, sugar, etc. You can register to get all the information emailed to you for $10, which includes a weekly meal plan (breakfast, lunch, dinner, & snack). Or you can just check out the recipes(for free)? Or, I'm already registered so I can email them to you weekly (courtneynpalmer@yahoo.com)