Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I can't believe people trust me with their kids!

For some reason, people must think I'm pretty good with kids because I have people asking me all the time if I can keep their kiddos. That, or I'm cheap because even the parents who do know the things that happen around here keep bringing their kids back.

For example....

Yesterday I was doing my afternoon run to pick kids up from school. I successfully picked up the first two kids from their school and I was in line to pick up the next two. When you're in the parent pick-up line, they try to get the kids loaded as quickly as possible to keep the line moving. What I usually do, to help them speed up the process, is get the kids in the car and pull forward a little before I stop and let them get buckled and settled in. This has worked for the past three years.

However, after yesterday's event, I am changing my ways!!

You see, we're in a rent car right now. Our car is in the process of finally getting fixed from our non-trip to Chicago. So, the kids are not really familiar with how this car works. The two boys got in the car and I shut the automatic door in order to pull forward a little.

Here's where the excitement begins. The automatic door pops back open while I'm pulling away from my previous spot and one of the boys tumbles out of the car.

Awesome!

Everyone in the car starts screaming (they were acting like I was going 100 mph when I was really going like 2 mph). I slam on the brakes, throw the car in park, and hop out. The on duty teachers kind of look back at him and then turn back around and carry on with what they were doing!! Um, hello?? A kid just fell from a moving vehicle!!

He was fine, he was even laughing when he realized everyone else thought it was cool. However, I did not find it so humorous considering this was not one of my children that just got thrown from my car!

Luckily his parents are cool and understanding. Thank God his parents are cool and understanding.

He walked away from the whole thing with a little soreness and a scrape on his ankle.

I walked away feeling like I was going to puke.

If you ask my little exaggerator (Ty) what happened, he'll tell you I ran the kid over with my car and we're lucky I didn't kill him...


3 comments:

Vicki J. Dooly said...

OMG! You have me ROLLIN' with laughter! So glad he's OK! You're hilarious...

Ann said...

Holy Freakin' A, Ashley I just spit my coke out all over my keyboard. Fantastic. You completely make my day and you should write a book.

Tasha said...

I know I shouldn't be laughing as hard as I am, but that's funny... sorry it almost gave you a heart attack though!