Tuesday, January 19, 2010

child labor...or quality time?

I have just discovered the best thing ever!

My one year old can put dishes away...in their correct place!!

I was unloading the dishwasher (which I hate doing) and Cole walked over and picked a lid up to one of the pots. He walked over and opened the correct cabinet and put it on the correct shelf. He then came back and grabbed the spatula and proceeded to walk over and place it in the correct drawer!

It's like my dream come true. I sat back and watched as he put various other, little things away and realized I might never have to unload the dishwasher again. It's not like I'm forcing him to unload the dishwasher, he's doing it on his own free will. I think of it as teaching him a very valuable lesson. What kind of a lesson would it be if I helped him? What would he really learn from that?

In fact, I think I should just sit back and supervise every time. I don't view it as child labor...no, I view it as us spending quality time together while he learns the meaning of chores. It's never too young to start helping out...right?

Don't worry, I didn't make him grab the heavy stuff. I left that for the older kids!


Now, if only I could teach them to fold the laundry correctly...


They do a great job mopping though!!!

1 comment:

Vicki J. Dooly said...

WOW! Now if you can just keep him from ripping the front of the dishwasher off while he sit/stands on it, you'll be golden! LOL!