Thursday, September 27, 2007

Second Best

This post is intended for you all to feel sorry for me because frankly, I'm feeling sorry for myself right now. So, I think it's right for all of you to experience my pain as well.

It's tiring taking care of the kids all day. I'm not saying I don't enjoy it, because I do. I love my kids with all my heart. I love watching them grow up, learn new things, do new things, etc. I don't even mind I can even tolerate when all four of them are begging for my attention at once.

For instance, this afternoon Cody needed "papa bears" (a.k.a. Teddy Grahams), Cade was screaming, Ty was trying to read me his homework, and McKinly was showing me her progress report. Even though I felt a little overwhelmed at this particular moment, I still did my very best to tend to every single one of them at the SAME EXACT TIME! I didn't even mind that my wonderful husband, who happened to be in the very next room as all this was going on, was on the phone with a friend talking about his damn fantasy football team.

It might sound like I'm a little perturbed with T.J. at the moment, but it truly isn't his fault. It's not that I'm annoyed with him...I'm jealous of him. That's right, I envy him right now.

The point to all my ranting is that at the end of the day the two children I gave birth to...you know the ones I carried around for nine months, gained all this unwanted weight for, and the ones I would give my life for...prefer their father over me.

Don't get me wrong, I really do love that they both worship their father. He's a wonderful dad and he loves his kids so much. He plays with them, entertains them, acts their age at times. Who wouldn't love him??

So why am I so bitter you ask!?!?

Well, let me just tell you! Today Cody and I were snuggling on the couch. Cade had just gone down for his nap and Cody wanted to sit with me a little before he had to take his nap. He was being extremely sweet and I looked at him and said...

"Cody, I sure love you!!" and his response was...

"I sure love my daddy!!!"

Oh, and don't think it ended there!

Me: "I know you love your daddy, but don't you love mommy too?"

Cody: "I do love my mommy, but I love my daddy more."

As I was holding back the tears, because I really did want to cry...Cody politely said,

"Mommy, Daddy my besss fwend."

My mom always says to enjoy the time they want to be with their dad, it's a welcomed break. She also says that when they're sick, they'll always want their mommy.

not in this case.

Cody hasn't been feeling well the past few days, allergies again, and who does he go to...yep, daddy! When T.J.'s at work and Cody isn't feeling well, he asks, "when's my daddy coming homet?" (for some odd reason, he puts a "t" at the end of anything that ends with an "n" and the word "home").

There you have it! Like I said, it's great he loves his daddy, but come on, this is just SICK!!

Oh and to top it all off, yesterday Cade was sitting on the couch with T.J., looked up at him and said, "da da da da da da da"...Gross, I know!

I guess now I know how T.J. feels when McKinly favors me more. Who could blame her...I'm one cool step-mom!! (Hey, I have to build my self esteem up some how).

T.J. loves it! He reminds me everyday how they're "daddy's boys".

Cade just loungin', watching Baby Einstein


Not a good picture of Cody, but the only one I have with his new haircut.




post signature

4 comments:

Tasha said...

Hang in there, girl... You're a fantastic mom and someday they'll appreciate you for that when they realize not everyone has what they had!! Love you!

Pam Roberts said...

I guess Dad will just have to become the primary caretaker. You could go off and get a job with adults all day! haha

Lisa said...

Shoot I only have one and I feel like that sometimes! You really are super woman!!

Oh and I HATE fantasy football!!!

Texas Aggie in Florida said...

Hey Rock Star Mama! I can't believe you have 4 kids and you're only class of '03! Girl, you got busy! I know Daddy may be the hero now, but that's only b/c you have to do all the dirty work. One day, you will reap the rewards of all this work "in the trenches" of mommyhood. Do you ever hear anyone on T.V. (famous athletes included) saying "Hi Dad"? NO! Everyone says "Hi Mom" when they get their moment of fame in front of the camera. So know that you're job is special and they will remember all you've done for them ONE DAY and truly appreciate you. Everyone loves their mama!