Sunday, September 16, 2007

A Day with the Carnies

The Oklahoma State Fair is here! Saturday, after all the soccer games, McKinly, Ty, Cody and I headed to the state fair. We were meeting my friend, Jen and her daughter Laney up there and then my sister-in-law, Liz and my nieces met us up there too.

It was an eventful afternoon, full of rides, food, animals, and the hot sun beating down on us! The kids had a great time. Who doesn't love carnival rides and games?? Oh yeah, the parents who have to pay for them!!

I started to do a little people watching as the kids were riding some rides. We all know the type of people who work at the fair, but I was amazed at some of the people attending the fair. First off, I'm not a rich person by any means. There are times when we're flat out broke. However, we live in a nice house, in a nice neighborhood, and my kids have nice clothes on their backs. I say this because we're not poor by any means, but we're strapped for cash at times. When we were at the Fair yesterday, I dropped $90.00 like it was nothing. Money goes so fast at that place. My question is, there were some people there who obviously couldn't afford shoes for their kids, so how in the world were they able to afford the fair?? I'm not a judgemental person at all, it was just that we had trouble affording our little outing, I can't even imagine how some of the people that were there afforded it.

Anyway, the reason we go to the fair every year is because the kids love it. They love everything about it.

Cody riding the Dragon ride with some little boy

Cody is Steve from Blue's Clues
(You can tell this is old, Steve isn't there anymore, it's Joe now!)


Ty and Laney then Cody and McKinly on the Frog Hopper

They all liked the Frog Hopper because it went up high so I shot a little video



McKinly was almost too tall for it, but the guy let her ride so she could be there with Cody, what a great big sister.

When McKinly had enough of the little kid rides, she set off to be with the older girls. She rode all the fun rides with my nieces including the Crazy Mouse. It's like a tilt-a-whirl on a roller coaster. She loved it and just had to have the picture from the ride itself.


After spending 6 hours in the blazing, hot sun, we decided it was time to head home. But we couldn't leave without sampling some delicious, yet fattening, Fair food.

Ty eating a chocolate covered banana


T.J. and Jen's husband, Shawn were at home smoking a turkey for us so we decided to bring home some roasted corn from the fair to go with it. It was a big hit (for everyone except me because I absolutely HATE corn, it makes me gag).

Cody really loved the corn, how can he be my kid??


We all really enjoyed the fair but I am glad it only comes around once a year. Not only does it cost a small fortune, it wears you out. I woke up this morning so sore from being on my feet all day. I have no idea how Ty woke up and was able to play in his soccer game today. I guess that's a sign of how old I really am getting! Four more years and I'll be 30!!



post signature

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys had a great day!

Tasha said...

Wow you guys are busy!! It looks like so much fun, too - I can't believe how big they are getting!!