Saturday, July 19, 2008

Busy! Busy! Busy!

We have been SO busy! We had my mom, little sister, and niece up here for a week. They went home Wednesday the 9th. My mom was scheduled to have surgery (a double knee replacement) on the 15th. I wasn't going to be able to go down to Houston since the baby is due in less than a month but after realizing my family needed me down there, I talked to my doctor and got permission to drive the 7 hours and spend the week with my mom and family.

So Monday night I packed the boys up and we headed out for Houston. T.J. had to stay behind and work in order to help pay for this unexpected trip so he couldn't go with us. I am so glad I went though. Nothing goes as planned and I still have a little sister at home who isn't old enough to drive, let alone stay by herself.

The surgery went really well. My mom's knees are beautiful! Well, they will be in time, lots and lots of time! The couple days following her surgery were a little scary though. My mom wasn't adjusting well to not being in control and not being able to move. It was a tad scary because she has had prior heart attacks so the most important thing was getting her to stay calm. She did end up having to receive two units of blood on Thursday but after that she started feeling better.

I spent the majority of the week at the hospital while my sisters, great friends (thanks Aunt Pammy) and family switched off taking care of the boys! I felt like I didn't see them all week but I don't think they noticed...they were entertained and probably never even thought about me! They even got to spend the night at Aunt Leslie's house and with a house full of toys and kids, they couldn't have been happier!

By Friday, my mom started doing MUCH better. Her spirits were up, she was able to stand up for the first time with a walker (they had tried the other two days but she just couldn't do it, the pain was too strong), and I was even able to wash her hair for her which made her feel so much better!

I hung out at the hospital all of Friday morning and some of the afternoon then headed back to my mom's house to pack up our stuff and the boys so we could head back to Oklahoma. We ended up not leaving my mom's house until after 4 and then stopped and had dinner with my sister. Needless to say, we didn't start driving back to Oklahoma until 6:30!! I figured the boys were so tired from their exciting week it might be better to let them sleep the whole trip than it would be to wait until the next morning when they would be wide awake. We pulled in our driveway at 12:15am! I was ready for bed, the boys were ready to play with daddy!

All and all, it was a good trip. I wish I could have stayed longer and helped out more since my mom will be in the hospital at least another week. However, I was taking a big chance going down there in the first place so I had to get back so I could be close to my doctor. I didn't want to take the chance of having an out of network doctor deliver this baby and then have to spend the next few months fighting insurance to cover the costs!!

We're home now, safe and sound. My mom is doing great and my little sister is taken care of. My job is done!

post signature

2 comments:

Vicki J. Dooly said...

Glad your Mom is doing OK. My Mom has two new knees as well, but she did hers two years apart. I can't imagine doing it at the same time - very brave!!! She'll make steady progress though and will be good as new in no time.

Glad you made the trip back OK - I agree with you...letting the kiddos sleep on the way back wasn't a bad idea at all - LOL! :-)

Texas Aggie in Florida said...

Ahhh, you're such a good daughter!