Wednesday, June 18, 2008

We Survived

Last Friday was our trip to the zoo. I didn't know if I was going to make it. I had eight kids in tow, all by myself. Seven of them did fantastic, one got on my every.last.nerve!

She wouldn't pay attention to me, I had to yell out her name at least a hundred times. She thought she knew everything and if one of the younger kids said anything, she was quick to tell them how wrong and dumb they were!

That DID NOT go over well with me!

So, when we were looking at a Jaguar and she called it a cheetah...I was quick to point out how dumb wrong she was!

I know, I'm very mature!

If you recall the last time we went to the zoo, we learned Cody is deathly afraid of Elephants! It wasn't a surprise when he almost had a meltdown because we were about to enter the building where the elephants are located! Much to his enjoyment, the elephants were out of town. They were sent to Tulsa to mate but I didn't explain that part to him!

After that, he was in zoo heaven! All his favorite animals and the one animal he hates, was out of town! His day couldn't get any better!


McKinly and Cody looking at the Rhinos! Cody's favorite!



McKinly cooling off in the misters



There was a bear playing in the water and the kids watched him for about thirty minutes. They were just amazed at everything he could do.


McKinly likes to think he was waving at her


Finally right before lunch, a friend of mine showed up with her three kids! Cody was very happy because his best friend, Tristin was there to play with!

Tristin's older sister has a disability. I am not totally sure what all she has but all I know is the kids are fantastic with her. They make sure she is involved in everything they do. They play really well with her and best of all, they don't treat her any different.

The one who is the best with her is Ty. I was a little surprised at first. He's a seven year old boy who doesn't care to play with girls in the first place (besides Laney) yet he is phenomenal with Destiny! I was so proud watching him with her! It makes me realize what great kids we have. Before they showed up, McKinly and Ty explained to all the other kids what she looked like and that she was a little "different". They didn't want them staring at her and making her feel uncomfortable!


The whole group
(minus the two babies)

Jordan, Tristin, Destiny, Hayden, Laney, McKinly, Shay, Ty, and Cody!


Cody playing around at lunch



This is how Cade enjoyed lunch


At the end of the day, we were all worn out! Everyone did well and it's something I might try again in the future...the very distant future!

post signature

2 comments:

Kyle and Cortney said...

Hi Ashley! We miss you guys!! Things have been crazy here, but I thought I'd just stop in to catch up on everyone. Give the kids hugs for us :).

Pam Roberts said...

That's funny that Cody is scared of the elephants but loves the rhinos. I'm glad you all had fun. Isn't it great to see how non-judgemental and accepting kids are of people that may be different than them? I'm so proud of all of them, especially Ty!