Monday, December 03, 2007

Self Control

I learned a lot about myself this morning. I learned I actually have a GREAT DEAL of self control because I didn't grab a certain 10 year old around the neck and shake her profusely!! This may sound extremely inhumane, however let me explain what happened before you begin to pass judgement!

This morning I was getting the kids ready for school (remember I have more than just my sweet angels here in the mornings) and I was finishing up their breakfast when I heard this particular 10 year old talking to ALL the other kids in the other room. She was explaining to them how Santa was not real and he was just their parents!!

I was FURIOUS...wait, furious doesn't even begin to describe it!! I literally had to stand in the kitchen and count to 10 before screaming for her to come see me right away!!

Now, McKinly knows the "secret". She also knows not to say anything because that would not be fair to the younger children. On the other hand, FOUR of the other children in the room, including Ty and Cody, still are at the age where Santa brings them great joy!

My anger began to get stronger when this young girl decided to ignore me and continued to argue with the others when they tried to defend their beloved Santa. When McKinly was finally able to drag her to me, I just handed this girl the phone and calmly, through gritted teeth, told her to call Cathy.

I did eventually calm down and she left my house unharmed, but I'm not responsible for what happens at her house and I'm sure McKinly and Ty will tell me all about it because I do know Cathy was not thrilled with what she did. I convinced Ty she was just bitter and Santa will be bringing him presents and Cody is really too young to understand any of it. As for the other two children, I told their parents what happened and that was really all I could do.

However, there is good in every situation and because of this, I learned I do have self control when it comes to a mean, bitter little girl who doesn't want anyone else experiencing joy because she has decided to no longer experience it.

But if you're having a bad day, watching your nine month old wave "hi" sure makes it all better!



Please ignore my baby talk. Cade was just being so cute waving with both of his hands.




post signature

1 comment:

Texas Aggie in Florida said...

Okay, several ideas in order to do some damage control:

1. Do you know anyone who might own a Santa suit? I know this may seem like a dumb question, but I actually know a few people who own one, so you just never know. The reason I'm asking is because my mom, when I was about 5ish and was going through the doubting stage, had someone dress up like Santa and come to our house on Christmas Eve. I was sound asleep and she woke me up and had me stand at the hallway door to peek in the living room so I could really SEE Santa leaving me gifts. Another year, she had a man with a loud voice climb up on the roof and bang around like reindeer and he kept yelling HO HO HO near the chimney area so we could hear him loud and clear. He would say, "hohoho, oops, I don't think Heather is in bed yet, I'll have to come back later!" and things like that.

I was like 20 before I figured out Santa wasn't real b/c my mom would always pull these tricks on me. She would take me outside and find some red light in the sky and convince me that was Rudolph's nose. Also, you can have the kids CALL HIM on the phone! I dont remember the phone number but google it. It went around the email world last year. And one final thing is to type up a letter and send it in the mail, or have someone else write it for you. The postoffice might even have a North Pole stamp they could stamp for you, if not I know they sell that kind of stamp at craft stores in the scrapbook section b/c I've seen them before. And have the letter from Santa include things that only "santa" could know. My aunt is writing one for us and I told her to include things like Lexi pooping on the potty and how she requested a bike and dress up clothes.

Just get creative at this point and become the MASTER TRICKSTER in order to convince them ALL that Santa is real. My mom used to say when I quit believing, Santa quits coming.

And now that i've written a book...